Saturday, August 04, 2007

Champion Laboratories Health Fair June 9, 2007

As a Family Maternity Services RN at Richland Memorial Hospital I had the opportunity to assist my patients and their families with not only an exciting time in life, but one that also brings about some anxiety. One of my passions is educating women about a healthy lifestyle and important steps to be proactive in their health maintenance. I was asked to be a part of the collaborative team that helped to make a breast health program available to women in southeastern Illinois. This program is funded through the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Ticket for the Cure program. My role was to develop the education curriculum, pamphlet and presentation information. I was so honored and excited to develop this program and know women throughout our area would be reached.

The American Cancer Society booth was full of information and wonderfully helpful ladies. They had such a great idea and offered everyone free packets of sunscreen.


Signing an autograph while at the RMH Breast Health Program booth at the Champion Lab Health Fair on a gorgeous sunny day!

While at the fair I caught up Michelle Alumbaugh. She and her husband, Matt, used to live in Flora where he was my husband's employer during college. Their two boys were about the age of my two now. So to hear they are high school age was surprising. I guess time certainly does fly!
What a great learning opportunity for me. I had a grand tour of the of inside an AirEvac Lifeteam helicopter and a wonderful discussion with the crew. After having transferred patients to other facilities I was very curious about care during the flight. Thanks to Crew#11 for answering all of my questions.

No comments: