Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Friday, August 25 at Tanque Verde Ranch




We met bright and early the next day to depart for the Tanque Verde Ranch where we would go on a trail ride, be treated to a cowboy breakfast, and have the barrel racing. I was so glad I packed a pair of jeans because they came in handy for this activity. Upon arriving at the ranch we were greeted and shown to what some might call the "loading dock". You literally mount the horse from the edge of a porch so it really was quite simple. We then took an approximately 30min trail ride into the mountains where a real cowboy breakfast was waiting. Ranch eggs, blueberry flapjacks, and lots of cold water!!! The eggs and flapjacks were very yummy, but I don't think it would have been possible to get too much water. After breakfast we rode back and those of us who were involved in the barrel races were given a new horse. As a team captain I was really excited to chose Mrs.South Carolina and Mrs.Kentucky. I figure the bluegrass state, surely she has been on a horse before. That was a good call. By the way it turns out we are all nurses. We were off the the races...for real. Ok, now my grandparents had a farm so I have ridden horses a fair amount. However, I did not barrel race. It was great fun and such a rush. I wanted to go again after my turn...only on a different horse. He had an entirely alternate plan to my own, needless to say my team did not win. It was the perfect way to see the beautiful terrain and landscape of Arizona!

No comments: