Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mrs. America Preliminary Competition





Well, here it is the Mrs.America Preliminary competition. I wish there was a way to have taken photos from the stage so I could share that view with everyone. We were in a large ball room with the seats filled and still tons of people standing. The crowd was so incredibly supportive! They not only cheered for their delegate, but for everyone. When I looked into the crowd my directors were right there just a few rows back, easy to see, sending me encouragement and smiling. Then I found my family! There they were with the "We love you Mrs.Illinois" signs. My boys had fallen asleep by the middle of the show and the wonderful family of Mrs.Georgia helped my husband cheer for me since he was holding a sleeping 5 year old. That feeling of support was shared among all of the contestants and families. We all knew how important this was for each other. The show began with a production number dancing in our swimsuits and sarongs. What a great way to kick the show off, Lots of energy and excitement! We then competed in swimsuit, evening gown, and then state costume. My state costume was a flapper from the Roaring Twenties in Chicago. To explain my choice I said: "The Roaring Twenties brought the warm rhythm of Jazz and the chilly staccato of tommy-guns to streets of HOT Chicago. Representing Illinois, I am Julie Rinehart." I had designed the outfit and my mom was the seamstress. She has spoiled me! The quality of work she does is unlike anyother. My responsibility was the headress and accessories. She constructed the dress and attatched all of the beaded fringe and rhinestones. I am sooo proud of her! We are very fortunate to have this competition at our state level. We were told the day of prelims that we would give a short description of our individual state costume choice. I was prepared and completely relaxed...I welcomed the opportunity to speak on stage. Following prelims I was very satisfied with my performance and knew I had given it my ALL!

No comments: